Friday, February 26, 2010

Fresh Basil Pesto ~r

I'm catching up on some recipe posting . . . I hope you enjoy them . . . here's the first . . .

My kids/grandkids planted a garden this past summer and about the only thing that really grew was the basil . . . which I love so that's okay. Here's what I did with it.

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese (I used Parmesan)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts of walnuts (I used pine nuts)
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts, pulse them a few times first before adding the basil). Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 1 cup

Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment