Saturday, February 6, 2010

More comfort food: Grated Potato Pancakes (Latkes) ~r

I've never made potato pancakes before. I've never even seen what they look like before. But I've always wanted to try. And I have a big interest in potato recipes right now because I bought a 10 lb bag of potatoes on sale at Superstore last week $1.49.

From Encyclopedia of Cooking by Mary Margaret McBride:

Grated Potato Pancakes (Latkes)

6 medium raw potatoes
1 small onion
2 slightly beaten eggs
3 tablespoons flour
dash of pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (optional)

Pare and grate raw potatoes and onion. Let stand 10 minutes so that liquid will rise to top. Remove liquid. Stir in eggs. Add other ingredients and blend together. Drop by spoonfuls into a hot well greased skillet. Brown on both sides over moderate heat. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with applesauce, sugar or sour cream. Serves 6.

I drained the potatoes for 10 minutes, but they still kept draining so I had to pour off the liquid several times. I didn't know how thick the pancakes should be so I made some thin and crispy and some thick and softer. I really enjoyed the thin ones but Hal preferred the thicker ones. I served the potato pancakes with unsweetened applesauce.

Le dîner est servi . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment