Sunday, October 20, 2019

Movie Review: Son of Rambow


I'm reading a book through Daily Lit called 151 Best Movies You've Never Seen.  I can tell you right now, if it wasn't for the author's recommendation I would never have seen Son of Rambow.  I've never even read a review for it, just assumed it was another stupid spoof movie with grown men acting foolish and mocking a movie which was nearly as bad as the spoof.  A little harsh?  You may have guessed I'm not a fan of the Rambo franchise which is very sad because my dear hubby is a fan.  And I rarely enjoy spoof movies.

Anyway, I digress . . .

So Maltin recommends Son of Rambow and I actually read his review and decided to give it a shot.  I found it online, picked up some crochet and sat back to watch the show.

This is a coming-of-age type of movie but done very cleverly, without the unrealistic and foolish which is usual in this genre.  It's about two boys who really have nothing in common except that they are both on the outside of the school clique.  Will is being raised by his mom in a strict religion that doesn't allow worldly things like television.  Lee, on the other hand, is raising himself because his brother is not interested and his mother and step-father are constantly away.  Lee is a bully and he finds in Will a perfect target.  That is until they find the one thing they have in common.  There are several trials and tribulations along the way but it, of course, has a happy ending.

Son of Rambow is amusing, heart-warming, clever and thoroughly enjoyable.  My favourite bit was the flying dog.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your blog review Pam. It's definitely not a DVD I would choose. But I'm intrigued now. I just checked my public library catalogue and it's there so I've placed a hold.

    R.

    ReplyDelete