Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Book Review: Madame Bovary


I wasn't far into reading Gustave Flaubert's masterpiece when I realized that at some point in my foggy past I've read it before.  It didn't stop me from reading it again.

I have to say the characters are annoying as hell . . . LOL . . . but the writing is like poetry, flowing and a pleasure to read.  Flaubert has an amazing ability to give dimension to all his characters.  There is a great deal of underlying humour and sarcasm as well.

The story is about Emma Bovary who grows up believing in a very romantic vision of how her life was going to be.  When life turns out to be mundane she searches through spending and infidelity to find the romantic love she craves.  Through all her selfish behaviour her boring country doctor husband sees her on a pedestal.  Only after her death does he find out who she really is.



No comments:

Post a Comment