Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Book Review: The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens


It's been a few months since I read The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens and I remember that it was a very quick read for me.  Dickens is always enjoyable with his quirky over-the-top characters.  My personal favourite is Quilip, a massively horrible dwarf of a man who is cruel and abusive to everyone within his reach just because he can be.  

My least favourite character is the grandfather.  I understand his character is meant to be very flawed but I guess I don't have much sympathy for a man who counts on his little granddaughter Nell to take care of him and solve all his problems.

I'm not going to tell you who lives or dies, prospers or fails.  Let me just say that it isn't all bad and there are some great mysteries to be solved.  If you are looking for a good read and you haven't read Dickens before, this might be a good book to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment