Monday, July 20, 2015

Saving Private Ryan 1998 ~m

A while back I took a "quiz" on Facebook to determine how many of the top 250 movies of all time. I had actually seen. I scored 100 out of the 250 movies that were listed. If I was unsure about seeing a movie I didn't check it off so my score could possibly be much higher.

And then I started thinking that perhaps instead of binge watching old TV series I should binge watch movies. I decided just to take on the top 100 movies for a starter. Now I'm very sure I am going to agree with quite a few of the entries on this list but I already know I'm going to argue about a few as well.

So here is #11 of the top 100 Movies of all time according to IMDB:

Saving Private Ryan 1998

I loved this movie.  Of course, I love Tom Hanks.  




During the Normandy landing two brothers are killed in action. In another theatre of the war the third Ryan brother is killed. Their mother is to receive all three telegrams on the same day. The United States Army Chief of Staff, George C. Marshall learns there is a fourth brother, Private James Ryan, and decides to send out 8 men (Cpt. Miller and select members from 2nd Rangers) to find him and bring him back home safe.

I think I may need to watch this movie again today.



Academy Awards, USA 1999

Won
Oscar
Best Director
Steven Spielberg 
Best Cinematography
Janusz Kaminski 
Best Sound
Gary Rydstrom
Gary Summers
Andy Nelson
Ron Judkins 
Best Film Editing
Michael Kahn 
Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing
Gary Rydstrom
Richard Hymns 
Nominated
Oscar
Best Picture
Steven Spielberg
Ian Bryce
Mark Gordon
Gary Levinsohn 
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Tom Hanks 
Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Robert Rodat 
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Thomas E. Sanders
Lisa Dean 
Best Makeup
Lois Burwell
Conor O'Sullivan
Daniel C. Striepeke 
Best Music, Original Dramatic Score
John Williams 

No comments:

Post a Comment