Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Movie Review ~ The Green Mile (1999) ~m

A while back I took a "quiz" on Facebook to determine how many of the top 250 movies of all time. I had actually seen. I scored 100 out of the 250 movies that were listed. If I was unsure about seeing a movie I didn't check it off so my score could possibly be much higher.

And then I started thinking that perhaps instead of binge watching old TV series I should binge watch movies. I decided just to take on the top 100 movies for a starter. Now I'm very sure I am going to agree with quite a few of the entries on this list but I already know I'm going to argue about a few as well.

The Green Mile (1999)

I'm pretty sure I made this comment when I reviewed Saving Private Ryan but I'll repeat it again.  I love Tom Hanks.  This was also the breakout movie for Michael Clarke Duncan, another actor I really admire.

The story is about a simple innocent black man, John Coffey, who is found guilty of raping and murdering two little girls.  He is sentenced to death.  Coffey has a profound effect on the guards on death row, especially when they learn of his special gift which is a blessing to others and a curse to him.

This movie is so moving that I dare you not to cry.






Academy Awards, USA 2000

Nominated
Oscar
Best Picture
David Valdes
Frank Darabont 
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Michael Clarke Duncan 
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Frank Darabont 
Best Sound
Robert J. Litt
Elliot Tyson
Michael Herbick
Willie D. Burton 

No comments:

Post a Comment