Sunday, July 21, 2019

Top 250 Movies From the Last 10 Years ~ The King's Speech (2010)

I saw this movie in the theatre and LOVED it.  I have seen it a couple of times at home as well.



Of course, it helps that I absolutely love Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter.  It was so interesting watching Carter play a straight part.  I'm used to her more quirky roles like in Sweeney Todd and Les Miserables.

This was the first time I had seen a movie with Geoffrey Rush . . . or so I thought.  I realized when I was looking through his filmography on IMDB that I have actually seen him in quite a few movies . . . including personal favourites-- The Banger Sisters and Shakespeare in Love.

This movie is the story of King George VI and the speech therapist who helps him overcome a speech impediment that keeps the king from feeling he succeed.

It is an excellent movie and I have watched it several times already.




Academy Awards, USA 2011

Won
Oscar
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Iain Canning
Emile Sherman
Gareth Unwin 
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Colin Firth 
Best Achievement in Directing
Tom Hooper 
Best Writing, Original Screenplay
David Seidler 
Nominated
Oscar
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Geoffrey Rush 
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Helena Bonham Carter 
Best Achievement in Cinematography
Danny Cohen 
Best Achievement in Film Editing
Tariq Anwar 
Best Achievement in Costume Design
Jenny Beavan 
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Alexandre Desplat 
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Paul Hamblin
Martin Jensen
John Midgley 
Best Achievement in Art Direction
Eve Stewart (production designer)
Judy Farr (set decorator) 

No comments:

Post a Comment